Tuesday, October 27, 2009

To Dream or not to Dream

If you know me at all or for any length of time you'll know that i TRULY believe in the power of premonition. In fact anything that I dream normally happens. My way to thwart them from happening is to tell in great detail the dream. I know, weird, but it's how I operate.

So the latest dream that I've had multiple times in short form: I get pulled over. The cop hands me my stuff back and hands me his number on another piece of paper. No ticket. The reason that this is hilarious to me is A- I do not have the self confidence to think that anyone would hit on me like that. In fact I often miss (like a man) when someone is hitting on me. B- I do not have a thing for cops, fireman maybe, cops no. And C- I would never go out with anyone who abused their power like that. This is why this dream is so amusing to me. Ok there is the preface of the evening.

Tonight was the first night of graduate school and as a good student I leave a little bit early. However, not quite early enough. Driving Highway 68 at 530pm is always an intelligent thing to do, especially when you have to be in Monterey in 30 minutes (note the sarcasm). Not only is the drive at a slow roll I'm stuck behind grandma who seems to have forgotten her glasses to see that when movement occurs the speed limit is in fact 55 not 25. So I'm moving slowly and am at the realization there is no way I'm going to be on time for class.

Pulling off the freeway i merge to the right and slightly pause at the stop sign turning on to Aquajito Road. I'm so focused that I don't see the cop totally BEHIND ME until his reds are flashing at me. I pull over conceding my illegal move and start to search for the obvious, license, registration and insurance please.

I roll down my passenger window to allow the cop to speak to me. "So, ma'am. I pulled you over because you didn't stop at that stop sign."

"Yeah, I figured." I shrugged and handed him my license.

"Can i see your license, registration, and insurance please." He stammered a bit realizing he was already holding my license. "Is this your current address?" I shrug. He says, "Well do you live on Byron?" I shake my head yes, open up my glove box and start the female search for said records he requested. I normally would be considered one of the most organized people in the county, but in this case I seem to be a tad be too organized. Every oil change receipt, tire purchase and registration in the same spot (that little folder they give you with the half dozen pamphlets about your car). He sat there leaning into my car as I went through every paper trying to find the stupid pieces of paper this young cop was waiting for. In the process I honked my horn accidentally and scared both of us.

"Oh sweet here it is." Of course tucked safely away behind the plastic pocket where it's supposed to be. I hand him the three papers and he leaves. Walks behind me to do his special cop thing.

He returns to my car and peeks his head into my window and says, "Do I know you?"
I shrug and say, "I dunno, maybe."
"Where do you work?"
"Lallapalooza is where you probably know me from if you work out here." He shakes his head no. "Ok, maybe Elli's."
He perks up, "Yeah that's where. I think that's it."
I look at him and say, "Maybe what's your first name? I know people by their first name not their last (which for the record i didn't see either)."
He pauses, clearly ignoring the question. "I didn't recognize you at first but when i saw your license I realized I knew who you were."
I smiled and told him, "I just chopped all my hair off"

He shook his head kind of stammered and walked off. When he returned for the third time he says to me, "So do you live around here?" (Keep in mind he knows I live in Salinas, and I am being pulled over in Monterey.)
"No, I don't" I look at him trying not to give him the seriously, you have to be kidding me look.
He waits, i'm not sure what he's waiting for but all of the sudden he looks nervous and I break the awkward silence, "I'm on my way to school, I'm late for class."
"Oh, ok." He pauses again and hands me my documents. Stands there in my window for a second and says, "Have a good day". He slowly walks away, gets back in his car and sits there for a minute.

I sat there put my documents away and waited for him to come back with the ticket and even talked to myself very animatedly. "Is he coming back? Am I getting a ticket? What just happened? How much longer do I have to wait? Dude I'm totally late!" I waited and then finally started my car and left (safely using my blinker to move back on the road).

I'm still not sure what happened. I know that I had a great first class session because I sat there with a huge smile on my face. I don't think they can mail tickets to you, can they?

guess i should've told someone about my dream... only thing missing is him giving me his number. :D
-jko

No comments:

Post a Comment